Bonos ya no aplican a partir de 1 mayo: Sólo para nuevos jugadores. | ¡Sólo para mayores de 18 años! | Juega responsablemente. | Juego puede ser adictivo. | ¡Los T&C generales del casino se aplican a todos los clientes!
The dealer is a worker in physical or online casinos or gaming rooms whose objective is to manage and direct the activities that take place at the gaming table. It is also called a carver or casino dealer, however, the most traditional way of calling it is dealer. Now that you know what a dealer is, we are going to break down this essential figure in casinos.
What are the dealer’s responsibilities
The dealer is one of the essential figures in casinos and his professional responsibilities include:
Deal cards or chips
One of the main tasks of the dealer in the casino is to mix and deal the cards with which the players bet and play the different games. For example, in blackjack the dealer is the rival to beat. For the player to win the game, it is necessary to obtain a higher score than the dealer, without exceeding 21 points. On the other hand, in roulette the dealer acquires other functions such as placing the chips on the mat.
The dealer’s mind has to be fast, alert and insightful. In a matter of seconds you have to know who has won the game and calculate the winnings of each player individually. Therefore, they need good mathematical skills. In the case of roulette, the dealer must calculate the benefits of each bettor if the ball has fallen into the number bet
Resolution of any dealer with years of experience will have among their experiences many conflict resolutions by the players. Losing is not always well assumed by the players, and the dealer must calm the spirits of the player who has lost.
Help the player
Without a doubt helping or advising the player is among the most important responsibilities that a dealer acquires during his workday. He must attend and advise whenever the player requires it.
Thanks to the dealer’s experience and track record, they quickly detect any cheating or illegal tactics in the game by players. Obviously casinos have security measures such as surveillance cameras, however, the first security filter is the responsibility of the dealer. Ben Affleck was expelled from a casino for counting cards in the game of blackjack, a totally prohibited practice. It was the dealer himself who noticed.
As we mentioned earlier a dealer must have an analytical and quick mind. In a matter of seconds, you must know if the player has won or lost the game, and in the case of winning, how much to receive. Delays in payments or decision management can adversely affect the reputation of the casino.
Characteristics and curiosities of a deale
- One of the most important characteristics when hiring a dealer is that the dealer does not have a criminal record. Casinos are looking for people with no record because the dealer handles large amounts of money. That is why it is increasingly common and in many countries it is an essential requirement that they have a special license to work in casinos.
- This is not always the case, but the first role a dealer plays in a casino is usually related to roulette. Later and when they gain more experience, they continue with the dice. In the United States, apprentices learn to play blackjack before starting to work in casinos.
- One of the most controversial issues surrounding the dealer profession is whether or not they should accept tips. Some consider that accepting tips can benefit the player. However, the firmness, loyalty and commitment of the dealer to the game and the casino is unquestionable.
- Due to job responsibility, dealer breaks are often frequent. Dealers usually work throughout their working day at different tables.
Professional profile and skills
The skills of a dealer are not always innate, they can also be learned over time. Perhaps experience, observation and an analytical mind are the keys to the success of a good dealer. However, there are other important skills like:
- The dealer must have an agile and insightful mind to know who and how much he has won in a matter of seconds or if any irregularity is taking place at the table. So they need to be good observers.
- The person who works as a dealer must be honest. In turn, you must have empathetic, communicative, customer service and organizational skills.
- It is very important that the dealer has a good presence, outgoing, with a gift of people and friendly.
- Mathematical skills are an essential requirement for counting cards, winnings, …
- Dexterity with cards, either to shuffle the cards or to distribute them among the players.
- Knowledge of languages is increasingly important within the dealer world. It is no longer enough to speak the language of the country, but it is essential to know as many languages as possible. In this way it is easier to interact with the player or help him in his game.
- The dealer’s personality should be calm and patient. Must be a calm person and able to control situations of stress, anger and frustration. Especially when the player faces large or continued losses during his game.
- Most of the workload is done at night, so the dealer should be able to adjust to that nightly pace.
On the internet you will find hundreds of courses to be a dealer. More and more are the portals that offer specific courses to expand with knowledge in American Roulette, Mini Point Banking, Poker, Stud Poker, Craps or BlackJack.
A school with more than thirty years of history is La Escuela de Croupier founded in 1980. This school was founded before opening Casino Gran Madrid. Casino Gran Madrid was one of the 18 casinos that were opened during the dictatorship in Spain. In this school you can take specific training courses as well as other courses to improve math skills, customer relations, …
Internationally, Online Live Casino Academy in Malta stands out. In this academy they allow you to obtain the necessary knowledge to be able to work anywhere in the world.
How much does a dealer earn?
The dealer profession is in vogue. It is common for many young and not so young to dream of being a dealer. Undoubtedly, the rise of online casino games and the creation of physical casinos in the last in Spain, make more and more people consider this profession as a professional outlet.
Salary for inexperienced dealer of 18,000 euros per year
Until a few years ago, a dealer’s salary was quite high. However, the boom in the profession, the opening of many casinos and the demand for workers has caused wages to decrease considerably. Currently in Spain the average salary of an inexperienced dealer is around 18,000 euros per year. As the dealer gains experience, the salary also increases. One of the pluses of the dealer is tips.
In contrast, in the United States the dealer does have a high salary. 2018 WSOP dealers charged $ 41 per hour, regardless of tips or overtime. The average salary is estimated to be about $ 10,000 a month. Seth Palansky, vice president of Corporate Communications for the WSOP, was tasked with releasing these figures. The WSOP or World Series of Poker is the most prestigious poker tournament in the world.